Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Charity Lap Blanket #1 - Bernat Soft Yarn

Use the invisible sewing technique video not made whole

This is a very simple and easy crochet lap blanket/afghan that I made for StillSomeone.org.   Bernat Softee Chunky yarn is my favorite because of how soft it is. If you're not a fan of making a blanket as 1 piece this pattern is for you. I made 5 columns of 3 rectangles each. Just change yarns after each section, then sew the columns side by side. See a link for a video on how to do that below.

The Bernat yarns I used were: New Denim Heather, Soft Taupe, Natural,Nature's Way, Faded Denim and Grey Heather (Yardage listed after pattern)

Chain 19 at the beginning of each column
Hook Size: K
Final Size of the afghan:37 inches x26 inches
Each section is 9 in length

Pattern:
The beginning chain 2 does not count as the first stitch.
Row 1: do 1 Hdc in the 3rd chain from hook and in each stitch til end of row (17 Hdc)
Row 2: chain 2, turn...do 1 Hdc in each still til end of row (17 Hdc)

Repeat row 2 until you reach 9 inches, or the length you desire, and change yarns for the next rectangle. When you've made three rectangles you can cut the yarn and finish it off.  Then start the second column, then the third.

YARDAGE:
Bernat Yarns Used and Amount of Yarn Needed :
New Denim Heather (Light Blue) 1 skein
Soft Taupe (Brown) 1 skein
Natural (Cream) 1 skein
Nature's Way (Variegated) 1 ½ skeins
Grey Heather (Grey) 1 skein


Finishing:
Or if you have another way you want to use feel free to use it.

Thanks!
Heather

16 comments:

  1. I Love this, and the colors you chose...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come across several of your Afghan patterns and I love the designs but I don't see what quantities of yarn you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have them in the PDF's..it's.....
    Bernat Yarns Used and Amount of Yarn Needed :
    New Denim Heather (Light Blue) 1 skein
    Soft Taupe (Brown) 1 skein
    Natural (Cream) 1 skein
    Nature's Way (Variegated) 1 ½ skeins
    Grey Heather (Grey) 1 skein

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you do this pattern knitted instead of crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just do strips like a scarf then see them together. Do the same length or amount of rows on each strip.

      Delete
  5. Why is there a lone brown/taupe square when all the other have three of each?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No reason, those are the yarns I had left over. There are 5 variegated, 2 light blue, 3 dark blue etc...I needed to make something out of my scraps. It went to a charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only asked because I bought 5 skeins. 4 solid and 2 variegated. I hope that is enough to complete this:)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful & easy pattern! I have made 2 like this and used all different colored leftover yarn. I want to make more and donate them to the homeless shelter we have here. I also crochet hats & mittens and donate to the womens shelter and baby caps for the hospitals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this blanket but have some questions. I haven't started it yet. When doing row 1 how do you stitch it in the chain...top loop, bump in the back of the chain or a combination of front and bump, back and bump or thru the two top chain loops of the chain as it's facing you? the next question is at the end of the row crocheted how do you finish of the last row or do you leave the last row as the finishing row. I plan to make several blocks but smaller and sew each together when I have enough blocks and want to make sure I have the correct sewing row after each block is finished. Like perhaps doing a chain as the last row? I loved your tutorial on the seed stitch. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI, For the first row you are putting the hook through the chain from front to back. You aren't necessarily going through a loop. Here is a link to my HDC tutorial video if you need to look at it.
    https://youtu.be/-dABIsiHDkY

    The last row is the same as every row which is a row of HDC. You don't want to do a smaller or a larger stitch because every row has to be the same size. Especially when sewing it.

    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same question really. When crocheting rows are you going through the back loop only or through both loops?

      Delete
  10. For the Charity Lap Blanket #1, are you going through just the back loop or the entire stitch (both loops)?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Heather,
    I really have trouble with the HDC can I do this with just a DC?
    Thanks
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can i make this as a baby blanket. I would need different measurement in yarn and needle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is there a way to so it all in one?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...