Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sage Lilac Single Raised Rib Crochet Blanket


     
Easy Front Post Double Crochet pattern

Front Post Double Crochet blanket pattern
  



I made this Crochet Blanket for my camper. I normally wouldn't put these colors together but I wanted the colors to match the camper. My fav color is purple and the sage works well with them.

I used a Single Raised Rib stitch (front post stitch) to make this blanket. I made 6 columns then sewed them by side. I can't make a blanket in 1 piece. It's just to heavy to keep flipping a blanket every time I'm done with a row. I did make it extra long, made for a long twin.

For the finishing you can see a video on how to do Invisible Sewing you can go here.

Each Rectangle is 8 inches x 13 inches (each color block)
Finished Size: 32 inches by 65 inches (long twin)
Hook Size: K
Yarn: Caron 1 pound (Lilac, Sage, Purple)
Skill Level: Beginner

Stitches:
Half Double Crochet – Used on every Wrong Side row.
FPDC(Front post double crochet) – Yarn over (like a double crochet) insert hook around stem of the next stitch 2 rows below it. Only used on the Right Side rows.

Gauge: 2.75 inches per inch and 2 Rows per inch

Abbreviations: 
* - * Repeat the instructions between them

Pattern:
Foundation Chain: 22

(RS) Row 1: Go into the 3rd chain from the hook and do 1hdc, do 1 hdc in each stitch across the row (20 hdc’s)

(WS) Row 2 : chain 2, turn. Do 1 hdc in each stitch across the row (20 hdc’s)

Row 3: chain 2, turn. Do 1 hdc in each of the next 2 stitches *Do 1 FPDC around the next stitch 2 rows below, Do 1 hdc in each of the next 2 stitches* repeat (6 raised ribs)

Row 4: chain 2, turn. Do 1 hdc in each stitch across the row.

Repeat rows 3 and 4 for the entire blanket


FINISHING: (photo below shows the movement of the yarn)
Weave all ends on the wrong side of your work
I sewed the columns side by side. I do this because I don't like making them in 1 piece because it can get heavy.

To start I take 2 of the "columns" and put them face down. Thread your yarn needle and put it through the topside of your finished column, on the edge, and go through to the other column. Just "skim off the top" when you insert the yarn. Just like your weaving your ends in. You don't want it to be seen on the other side. 

Wait several inches before you pull the yarn tight. It's okay to have it loose at first. When I pull the yarn tight I put my palm down hard on  the areas that you've sewn then pull it tight. If you don't it will cinch up.

Also, it's a nice technique in case you use multiple yarns in your blanket. You won't be able to see the yarn you're sewing with. It will be invisible on both sides.

Join me at Facebook at 



Thanks for visiting!
Heather

20 comments:

  1. I love the colors you used but can also see making rectangles from leftover yarn colors for a patchwork effect. Size can be increased by the number of rectangles made. I think this is going to be a great pattern for "taking along" work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What brand of yarn did you use and what colors? Very pretty afghan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jami, I used Caron 1 pound yarn. Sorry for not posting that. I updated the posting with that info. Thanks for asking!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, the gauge is shown as "2.75 inches per inch & 1.92 Rows per inch." Could you give me a better idea of the actual gauge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the actual gauge. I don't round up or round down like most do. If I did that you would have a larger or smaller item then you intended. That's not good when you need an EXACT size. I'm very precise about my measurements :) Just consider the 1.92 as 2 inches if it helps. :)
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. This is so pretty that I am going to make it after I finish the project that I am working on...then donate it to my mentally ill daughter...she will simply love it....thanks for the great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure she will love it!!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the others! These colors are amazingly gorgeous together, and your pattern is just fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE THOSE COLORS TOGETHER!!! CAN'T WAIT TO MAKE ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pattern. Made mine aran, pale yellow and bright yellow. Turned out great. Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you're an excellent crafter, knitter,and a crocheter.. love all your work..

    ReplyDelete
  11. would love to make this but cant print the pattern, so how can I get the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully simple. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I prefer knitting but when I saw this pattern I decided to go back to crocheting. I would never thought to put colors together but they are great. Thanks for pattern. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many balls of each color did you use. I concur with the others that this is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing

      Delete
    2. How many balls of each color did you use. I concur with the other posters, this is gorgeous!

      Delete
    3. How many balls of each color did you use. I concur with the other posters, this is gorgeous!

      Delete
  14. In going to do this pattern in one big Afghan with the Caron Tea Cakes. I think it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trying it with Lt.green,sage,raspberry or lilac. Awesome Pattern,Heather. Thanks.��

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...