Monday, December 31, 2012

Plaid Blanket/Afghan made in columns




 

I made this crocheted blanket for a friend of mine so she had something to throw over here while watching TV in the living room. We live in the Midwest and it gets very cold here during the fall/winter months. My dog Dolly couldn't resist getting in the photo.
I didn't make this blanket in 1 piece. When I make blankets that don't use granny squares I make 1 column at a time then sew them side-by-side. Just change yarns when ready. There's no way I could flip a heavy blanket every time I finished a row and I have a feeling more people feel the same. Am I right? I do wish I could but I can't.  I made this for her living room. She has tan walls, black leather couch and since I like to use 3 colors I added white. 



Amount of yarn used: (Caron, 1 pound yarn)
Black yarn = 12 rectangles = 533 yards needed
Tan yarn = 17 rectangles = 756 yards needed
White yarn = 6 rectangles = 267 yards
35 rectangles total = 1556 yards total


Hook Size: K
Stitches:
  • Half Double Crochet
Size:
  • Each column is 8 inches by 63 inches
  • Each section is 8 inches by 9 inches
Foundation Chain: 22

GAUGE:
  • 2.75 sts per inch
  • Approx 2.15 rows per inch

Pattern:
Chain 22

Row 1: Do 1 HDC in the 3rd chain from hook. Do 1 HDC in each stitch across the row   (20hdc's)
Row 2: chain 2, (beginning chain does not count as a stitch) Do 1 HDC in each stitch across the row.

Repeat row 2 changing colors every 9 inches...or the length you need.

To change yarn:
  • Don't complete the last HDC. When you get to it, do: YO, insert hook, pull up a loop. Now attach the new yarn then complete the last “pull through” with it.
Then I tie a loose, but snug, knot with the tail of the new yarn and the working yarn of the yarn you last used. Then I made another knot very tight to secure the loose one.

FINISHING: (photo of the movement of your yarn below)
To see a video on how to do invisible sewing go here
Weave all ends on the wrong side of your work
I sewed the columns side by side. I do this because I don't like making them in 1 piece because it can get heavy.

To start I take 2 of the "columns" and put them face down. Thread your yarn needle and put it through the topside of your finished column, on the edge, and go through to the other column. Just "skim off the top" when you insert the yarn. Just like you're weaving the ends in...you don't want it to be seen on the other side.
SEWING DIAGRAM HERE
Wait several inches before you pull the yarn tight. It's okay to have it loose at first. When I pull the yarn tight I put my palm down hard on  the areas that you've sewn then pull it tight. If you don't it will cinch up.

Also, it's a nice technique in case you use multiple yarns in your blanket. You won't be able to see the yarn you're sewing with. It will be invisible on both sides.


Join me at Facebook at 




Thanks for stopping by!
Have a great day!
Heather

8 comments:

  1. I gave up crochet for many years and then wanted to get back to this wonderful craft. My first project was almost exactly an afghan like this. I have since made twin sized blankets for each of my 5 grandsons. I too do not like the idea of holding a large blanket on my lap, so I've made each of them in 7 strips and sew the strips together very much like you have described above. In this way I can work on my project as I watch TV or am a passenger in a car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your joining technique... Is it similar to weaving in tails, except for that you cross back and forth between your strips? How far in to each strip do you go before turning? Any clarification you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pattern. Simple but the end result is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I have a question and please do not think I am stupid, but how do you know what is the right side of the afghan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, No it's not a stupid question. Unless you're doing a granny square you can't really tell. You can add a safety pin to one of the sides. I don't know if anyone does this but I think of it the same as knitting.....the odd rows are the Right side or Front and the even rows are the back. The only thing that I do is make sure that I weave all the ends in on ONE side. They do tend to stick out after a while. Other than that the sides are identical.

      Heather

      Delete
  5. Hi Heather would that make 22 hdcs in rows 2+?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, It's a chain of 22 so you're doing 20 hdc's in each row. That's because you skip 2 stitches in the first row. It only depends on the first row. Hope that helps :)

      Delete
  6. Helped tremendously when I got started. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...