Wednesday, June 1, 2011

6 Column Seed Stitch Crochet Blanket





6 Column Seed Stitch Crochet Blanket

I made yet another blanket for myself. I really like warm colors. These yarns really work well together. 

I used Crochet's Seed Stitch to create this blanket. I used Impeccible Loops and Threads yarn, along with some Caron yarn, to make this blanket. 

 I really love making blankets. They're so warm and comfortable. 

For the video instructions on the Seed stitch go Here



Instructions:

Hook Size: K
Final Size: 42 inches by 61 inches

Seed stitch Pattern: Calls for Multiple of 2 + 1, Basically any odd # of sts.

Chain: 21

Skill Level: Beginner (there are no turning chains which can be confusing for some beginners)

Abbreviations:
SC = Single Crochet
DC = Double Crochet
* - * = Repeat the instructions between the *'s 

Yardage: 
Brand of yarn - Name of Yarn - Yards needed - # of Skeins
Impeccible Loops and Threads - 
TOPAZ: 378 Yards needed (2 skeins)

Impeccible Loops and Threads - 

FERN: 378 Yards needed (2 skeins)

Impeccible Loops and Threads - 

FOREST: 189 Yards needed (1 skein)

Impeccible Loops and Threads - 

DEEP FOREST: 189 Yards needed (1 skein)

Caron 1 pound - 

CREAM: 300 Yards needed (1 skein needed)

Row 1: go into 2nd chain from hook and do 1 SC, then do 1 DC in next stitch *Do 1 SC in the next stitch, Do 1 DC in the next stitch*
repeat * - *across the row

Row 2: Chain 1 turn, Skip first stitch , *do 1 SC and 1 DC in the next stitch, skip 1 stitch* repeat across the row.

Repeat row 2 for the pattern.

Each column is 7 inches wide and approx 10 inches


FINISHING - Pic below:
Weave all ends on the wrong side of your work
I sewed the columns side by side. I do this because I don't like making them in 1 piece because it can get heavy.

To start I take 2 of the "columns" and put them face down. Thread your yarn needle and put it through the topside of your finished column, on the edge, and go through to the other column. Just "skim off the top" when you insert the yarn like your weaving the ends in. You don't want it to be seen on the other side.

Wait several inches before you pull the yarn tight. It's okay to have it loose at first. When I pull the yarn tight I put my palm down hard on  the areas that you've sewn then pull it tight. If you don't it will cinch up.

Also, it's a nice technique in case you use multiple yarns in your blanket. You won't be able to see the yarn you're sewing with. It will be invisible on both sides.


I'm hoping to do a video on this sewing technique in Sept 2013...let me know if you have any questions in the mean time. 



Thanks!
Heather

15 comments:

  1. Finally a pattern that shows comfort and is cozy, this patter at the same time shows a slice of style that can be put into any room.
    shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have tirelessly searched the internet for something i can do as a newbie..i really really really want to make blankets..i just want to thank you so much because i can so do this blanket..the colors you chose are my kinda colors..so awesome how it looks like a quilt..im so glad i found your blog..thank you so much.I know just who to make this one for too.
    carolyne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. It's great to finally SEE a pattern done this way! Now I have some confidence to start a blanket without dread of hauling it every turn. This is such a contemporary, yet cozy look. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried downloading the PDF file but it said it has been removed. Anyway I can still get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The download link works.I clicked on it and it did download. The link is under the first photo. Thanks! Heather

      Delete
  5. I was going to turn the computer off and go to bed ... then saw this. Absolutely lovely. I am so grateful to you for this stitch. It is so simple, yet the most beautiful thing. Thank you, thank you. I will be tired tomorrow (today, now) but I am starting a mint green and white blanket. I am just a happy clam with this wonderful textured pattern. Much appreciation to you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a great pattern for the men. I think I will make this in blue, grey, and black for my granddaughter's boyfriend. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love the seed stitch. It works very well as a scarf, use the Caron yarn (very soft) and it will be a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was curious if you know how much of each color yarn you used and also the specific colors. I love the ones you used and would like to come as close as possible. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry I thought it was listed. Here is what is needed:

      Impeccible Loops and Threads - TOPAZ: 378 Yards needed (2 skeins)
      Impeccible Loops and Threads - FERN: 378 Yards needed (2 skeins)
      Impeccible Loops and Threads - FOREST: 189 Yards needed (1 skein)
      Impeccible Loops and Threads - DEEP FOREST: 189 Yards needed (1 skein)
      Caron 1 pound - CREAM: 300 Yards needed (1 skein needed)

      Thanks!
      Heather

      Delete
  9. How many chains do you do start with?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to do this in one panel instead of 6, as a newbie - how would I do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I would say just change yarn after so many stitches (whatever your design happens to be) BUT you would have to use multiple yarns when doing your chain. I don't believe that's possible That's why I do multiple columns then sew them together.

      Delete